Sunday 29 July 2012

Bipolar Geometry

I've been playing around with the transformation of my code to see what sort of shapes I could produce and this particular one proved my favourite. It is simply four isosceles triangles and yet the potential for transformations, let alone orientations, is incredible. I apologise to Blogger for the bombardment of images but its for the greater good, I swear.
 What I like about this next series is how the shape becomes quite distinctively a cross but as the lines repeat the transformation it flows to a more complex form. All that is required is that repetition.









This next series, being the simplest transformation, shows again how such a simple change can have a massive effect on the form. As the bases get closer together an obvious square is formed and maintained as the form shrinks but while this is happening a number of different triangles are also produced.








The final series I will be uploading (for I fear for this post may start preying on the smaller posts) shows an interesting transformation in how it creates alternate forms but through the use of negative space. Seeing this made me realise there was an entire new way to interpret the patterns. The overall form is not limited to the lines on-screen; the space around them contributes to it just as much.








What I like the most about the above series is at about the halfway point all the involved shapes are most easily seen; the triangles themselves, the star they are beginning to form, the hollow square within them, and the incomplete diamond of their outside edges.
Now that I have a better understanding of the levels on which the form can be developed I will try and explore things like stroke weight or noise to produce even more diverse results.

No comments:

Post a Comment