Tuesday 17 July 2012

Open Processing and Pretty Pictures

I could spend hours just looking at these images so I was thankful when my battery for my laptop fizzled out and I was left to get on with my life. But not before I saved my favourites!

The seemingly infinite possibilities of this applet is what intrigues me the most about this one. The addition of colour makes the patterns even more intriguing as they seem to follow their own potentially endless scheme. 
This one blew my mind when I first saw it. The pattern, when broken down, is simple but the overall result is beautiful. The creator is a man of few words so whatever purpose this piece of work holds is unknown to me but it is enthralling nonetheless.
http://openprocessing.org/sketch/65460
The simplicity of this one is what makes it so effective. I might even go so far as to say that the cross-lines following the mouse are unnecessary for the circles' effect which is exciting enough on its own. Once again, there is very little information about the applet. I'm beginning to wonder if I'm looking in the right place...


We also tried a drawing exercise where each person wrote down a list of instructions to draw an object they had with them. The instructions were then passed on and the recipient had to draw what the instructions said. I found that as I was writing my instructions were more of a stream of thought as to what I noticed about my object (a black pen) first rather than a planned sequence of stages. This meant that the drawing I received afterwards, although it was obviously a pen, it had small inaccuracies which could have been fixed by more coherent instructions. The list I received to draw from was clearer in that the instructions were broken down into simple and uncomplicated steps, making them far easier to follow.


During the lecture we ran through an exercise that helped develop our understanding of parameter based code. The exercise involved acknowledging simple changes to a shape and applying those changes to a shape of our own. The following image is a crisper computer generated version of what I sketched in the lecture, applying changes in coordinates, duplication, scale, stroke, rotation and colour to a simplified hourglass shape;

No comments:

Post a Comment