Monday 23 April 2012

One Word Submission

Design teacher always told me that I had to work on my typography skills and I can't think of a better way to do so than this One Word Film project. With the cutting exercise (the jargon used to describe the spacing evades me at this hour) I found myself subconsciously comparing the spaces between my cut outline opposed to the actual letters. This is quite evident on the butter-pad page (butterpage?).
Kerning

Butter-pad
This nimbus of inspiration is a whittled down version of the list of words I came up with during the lecture. My favourite ones anyway. Looking at it now I noticed that even though the words had a lot of potential for fancy animation I didn't think too much about the design principles of project one. Although font behaves differently to imagery I should try and keep things like hierarchy and balance and such in mind when developing my three storyboards further.
Brainstorm
I found out that we can only use the letters of the words as shapes in our animation and nothing else, meaning that in the cases like "Chaos" or "Perspective" the scribbles and construction lines would have to actually be comprised of small letters or larger warped ones.
Concepts 1

Concepts 2

Concepts 3
The next three storyboards are my favourite three words where more detail can be shown from longer storyboards.
Evaporate development
If I was to take 'Evaporate' further I would extend the sequence with a high angle or bird's eye view shot above the beaker where the gaseous letters would drift past the screen but some would stick to spell out the word "evaporate" in the middle of the screen.
Perspective development
To take 'Perspective' further I would increase the size of the 'P' and instead of having it flip back into it's position the letters would rotate into the screen so that when they would normally flip and be inverted they change to be "PERSPECTIVE" spelt properly.
Tension development
If I was to develop 'Tension' I would find a soundtrack to put behind it that was from a classical horror movie as a possible substitute for the heartbeat to increase the tension. I would also want to try comical sound effects for the reactions of the 'e'.

No comments:

Post a Comment