Thursday 10 May 2012

Curatorial


“The beauty of flames lies in their strange play, beyond all proportion and harmony. Their diaphanous flare symbolizes at once grace and tragedy, innocence and despair, sadness and voluptuousness.”
 (E. M. Cioran, n.d.)
Fluidity, Juxtaposition and Fire; these are the components of the form you see before you. Fluidity, as the ability to alter form without disruption, is captured beautifully by E. Babled’s Quark plexiglass coffee table (shown above). This, along with other pieces of Babled’s work, inspired me to seek out what materials hold fluidity and which it comes naturally to. Metal, glass, and wax all have the potential to hold fluid forms, all of which are birthed from one source; fire. Fire plays with purely natural and elegant fluidity in every moment that it exists. Within my model are my attempts to control this fluidity by combining it with my secondary precedent of juxtaposition.
Inspired by the Arts and Crafts movement, my model was developed from a simplified representation of flame, however I found across practically all the styles I’ve studied the reoccurring concept that nature seems to underlie all good design. I wanted to employ juxtaposition as a form of control. For every curve there is a straight line, for every solid plane there is empty space. Although the lines of comparison are not as clear as they are in my precedent image, they are positioned within my model to create balance. I tried to incorporate William Morris’ belief of honesty in construction by using wax over any other sheet material as it links to the process of which I developed my model.


References:
Emil M. Cioran quotes (n.d.) Thinkexist.com. Retrieved from http://thinkexist.com/quotation/the_beauty_of_flames_lies_in_their_strange_play/345809.html
Images found at;
Quark Plexiglass (2009). Emmanuel Babled Studio. Retrieved from
http://www.babled.net/en/limited-edition/17/Quark-plexiglass.html
Juxtaposition Art (n.d.). Pic 2 Fly. Retrieved from http://www.pic2fly.com/Juxtaposition+Art.html

No comments:

Post a Comment