Saturday 6 October 2012

Character Building Episode 1

In the process of making my processing (aye!) application more exciting I constructed a cartoonish swamp background for my fireflies to dwell in and with Steven's help made a glowing aura around the fireflies that revealed the background (using masks).



I tried to make the mask a fading gradient but with so many fireflies on-screen the program slowed down to the point of uselessness. An addition I could make to the environment, apart from refining the background image, could be to make the background that isn't illuminated ever so slightly transparent so the user can see hints of something behind the bugs and is encouraged to explore.
Apart from some adjustments to fields such as the repulsion radius of the predator and his glow radius I also made a feature where for every firefly he consumes his glow becomes brighter, illuminating a wider area. This gives the user an incentive to eat more fireflies which would otherwise remove the background entirely.

No comments:

Post a Comment